As I look back at my childhood, I have VERY specific memories of things my brother and I use to do with our dad. Things that my mom was not apart of, just things we did with my dad. Like on Monday and Thursday nights when my mom would work late my brother and I would climb into bed with my dad and he would read us The Chronicles of Narnia or The Hobbit. My dad also was the game player of my parents. I cannot tell you how many times Josh, Eric, my dad and I stayed up super late to finish a game of Monopoly! One year My dad convinced me to take a zero period spanish class in jr. high. It was short lived (1 semester) but every Tuesday and Thursday my dad took me to school and on the way we stopped off at the Mill Panderia and had yummy donuts and pastries:) It is fun for me too look back and think of the time I spent with my dad and it makes me wonder what specific memories Ellsie and Nixon will remember about their dad.
Chris and Ellsie have had a little more time together than Chris and Nixon so she has really had some special moments with dad. No matter what Chris' day has been like he always comes home ready to see his kids. Ellsie and Chris have shared bath time together almost since she was first born. It is now part of our nightly routine. After bath's Chris and Ellsie go in her room and play for a bit and he puts her to bed. It is his time to spend with Ellsie and she just soaks up time with dad. Chris has also made a point to take Ellsie on "dates." I would say about twice a month Chris takes Ellsie to do something just the two of them. Chris is so excited for Nixon to start walking (so he can teach him to surf of course) that he has taken over Nixon's "workouts." Chris is very good about make sure Nixon gets his tummy time or putting him in a crawl position or helping him hold on to the coffee table. I don't always remember to work on those things:) 5:30 is always a doozer for me. I'm a little tired from the day, I'm cooking dinner, and then kids are in their pre-dinner angry hunger phase. Most evenings when Chris get's home he feeds Nixon so I can finish getting dinner on the table. Nixon get's dads full attention and just like his sister he too soaks in every bit!
If I could sum up Chris as a father in 2 words I would say that he is PRESENT and INTENTIONAL. Two qualities I admire in him VERY much! Prior to have kids I always knew Chris would be a good dad. Chris is the type of person that is good at anything he puts his mind too... sometimes to an annoying degree. But to actually walk through life with him as a dad is much different than I imagined because "good" does not do justice when describing him as a father. I feel so BLESSED to be married to a man so willing to invest in our kids. When I'm stressed out or just having a rough behavior day (like 50 tantrums in one day) Chris is always supportive and takes so many burdens from me. So Happy Fathers Day to the best DAD I know:)



No comments:
Post a Comment